13 December 2008
Val - The Cargo Bike King - found this cracking website from Holland. Will o' the Wisp is written by four Dutch mothers who are quite found of their country and lifestyle, as well they should be.
It's an all-round website and includes an Introduction to Dutch Bicycle Culture.
"Bicycle weight conscious we Dutch are not, in fact it is a matter of considerable amusement to us to see how the English-speaking world goes to great lengths to strip bikes by leaving off chain and mud guards. If you really want to make a difference to the weight of your bicycle, don't eat another hamburger or crispy cream donut!"
They are equally sharp when it comes to helmets:
"Three types of people wear helmets on bikes in Holland. The English, The Americans, The Mentally Inflicted.
The English and Americans wear helmets because in their worlds common sense no longer rules and people must be safe from their own actions at all times. Also, it is a well known fact that when Americans fall off their bikes they fall on their heads. Why this should be we do not know..."
Will o' the Wisp has a blog, too. Listed under the categories Motherhood, Religion, Politics there is the post entitled Why Beer is Better Than Religion:
1. No one will kill you for not drinking beer.
2. Beer doesn’t tell you how to have sex.
3. Beer has never caused a major war.
4. They don’t force beer on minors who can’t think for themselves.
5. When you have beer, you don’t knock on people’s doors trying to give it away.
6. Nobody’s ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured to death over his brand of beer.
7. You don’t have to wait 2,000 years for a second beer.
8. There are laws saying that beer labels can’t lie to you.
9. You can prove you have a beer.
10. If you have devoted your life to beer, there are groups to help you stop.
There are more pearls of wisdom to be had on the site and the blog. The Living Well category is cool, as is Women's Health.