1 January 2009
New Year's Day 2009
This illustration, 'The Spirit of the Wheel', was one of the many images celebrating the bicycle's liberating quality. It featured on the cover of the New York magazine 'Truth' back on 22 August 1896.
The Bicycle as Truth. The two-wheeled wonder liberated the working classes and it certainly liberated women around the turn of the last century. Will it liberate us from car-centric societies?
What truths apply here on the first day of 2009?
- The bicycle is the most efficient machine ever invented.
- Riding a bicycle does not require any form of equipment - apart from a bicycle.
- It is shockingly easy to look frightfully chic on a bicycle.
- Riding a bicycle in high heels and/or a skirt is quite simple [women have been doing it for more than a century, for heaven's sake].
- Anyone who actually knows what their bicycle weighs should be treated with suspicion.
- Anyone who claims that urban cycling requires lycra or any 'cycling gear' probably enjoys cycling, but one should take their advice with a grain of salt,
- Coaster brakes are chic, normal and better than those finger-squeezy gadgets.
- If you had all the bicycles on the planet lined up in front of you, you wouldn't be able to see a racing bike or a mountain bike to save your life. They would drown in the mass of normal bicycles like the ones you see on this blog.
- Cycle Chic will continue growing throughout 2009. Taking back the bicycle culture for regular people on regular bikes all over the world.